Express Mesh is a commercial component featuring an advanced algorithm for meshing surfaces represented with BRep shapes. Express Mesh provides triangular meshing of a Shape containing Faces (Solid, Shell, or a compound of Faces). Each face is tessellated individually, nevertheless providing connectivity between triangles built on connected faces (on faces that share edges). Express Mesh takes several input parameters, such as element size, chordial deflection and angular deviation, so the user has an extended level of control over the mesh quality and the number of generated mesh elements. Express Mesh is based on Open CASCADE Technology and is packaged as a separate module.
Express Mesh has the following input parameters:
1. Minimal element size. This parameter defines the lower size limit of an element side. Increasing this parameter the user will speed up the meshing process at the expense of quality (surface feature details).
2. Maximal element size. This parameter defines the upper size limit of an element side.
3. Deflection. This parameter defines the maximal allowable chordial deviation of a mesh element from the original surface.
4. Angular deviation. This parameter defines the maximal angular deviation of triangles’ normals from the surface normals. The less this parameter is, the greater is the number of triangles on a curved area of a surface.
To simplify the choice of parameters that are necessary to mesh a particular shape, a special tool class is available that measures the shape and suggests the optimal parameters to mesh this particular shape.
Discretisation and Healing
To increase the robustness, Express Mesh features some useful healing operations:
- Special treatment allows to achieve well spaced discrete segments along edges of the input shape, even if an edge’s curve is badly parameterized;
- Detection and resolving self-intersections on discrete curves: capability of removing small loops;
- Connecting adjacent discrete curves of a wire to achieve a contiguous closed contour;
- Detection and resolving mutual intersections between wires on a face.
Express Mesh provides very high performance and a high level of control over mesh quality (as compared to open source BRepMesh algorithm from OCCT). It can therefore be used for applications where the speed of surface meshing is crucial, e.g. collision detection between shapes. Thanks to controlled element size and quality the final generated mesh can be also used in some FEA applications. Due to the high speed of triangulation computation it can also be used as an alternative algorithm for visualization purposes.
This component was successfully used in a number of projects including SIMOPTIC software (by DBM Reflex).
You can evaluate Express Mesh with a free demo application.
Please, feel free to contact us for your free demo, as well as for further information and pricing.